Oh, August. it’s a love/hate relationship. I love that my darling son was born, and made me a mommy in August. I hate the heat, humidity, mosquitoes. I actually cut off all my hair. All of it. I’ve got short hair now. Believe it. I love it.
As I mentioned, my little guy was born in the month of August on the same day as his Grammy. We celebrated a double surprise birthday party this weekend, and whew – I’m exhausted! With temps in the 90s and humidity in the 80th percentile, I’m sure I smelled great too.
My husband and I went to Target this weekend and he asked me if I would like something from Starbucks. I don’t make Starbucks part of my daily routine. Heck, I don’t even make it part of my weekend routine. I decided to try something I never had before: a green tea latte. I’m not quite sure why I ordered a warm latte in the middle of a heat wave, but boy did it hit the spot!
As much as I love baking, I love cool desserts in the summer. I was so happy I came across this fresh take on Tiramisu. Instead of using coffee, this recipe uses matcha powder. So delicious and pretty to boot? I’ll take it! The best part: you can make this ahead. In fact, you should make it ahead, it needs some time to chill.
Need this recipe for your next get-together? Pin this pic!
- • 6 egg yolks
- • 3/4 cup white sugar
- • 1/2 cup milk
- • 16 oz mascarpone cheese
- • 1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
- • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1 tbsp matcha powder
- • An additional ½ cup of matcha powder for dusting.
- • 2 packets of Trader Joe's lady fingers
- • 1 cup boiling water
- • 1/2 cup sugar
- • 1 tbsp matcha powder
- In a medium sauce pan, heat milk until steaming.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar and matcha powder.
- When the milk begins to steam, slowly temper the egg yolks by adding ¼ cup of milk and whisk. Add the rest of the milk and whisk until combined.
- Mix in mascarpone cheese and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, whip heavy cream with vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold mascarpone matcha mixture into the whipped cream, a little bit at a time. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine boiling water, ¼ cup sugar and 1 tbsp matcha. Stir until dissolved.
- Taking one lady finger at a time, dip into Matcha mixture.
- Continue to dip lady fingers and line in a row at bottom of glass dish (you can either do individual dishes as pictured or in a larger dish).
- Add a thin layer of the macarpone matcha cream on top and dust with more matcha powder. Continue to layer until it reaches the top of baking dish.
- Dust the top with matcha powder.
- Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours.