Thank you Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes for sponsoring this post. Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes are real potatoes, real easy, delivering homemade taste on demand.
So much about our lives have changed over the past year. Leave it to a second baby to make things a lot more complicated all around. My husband and I also switched roles. Before, I worked at home full time and he took care of our son while doing freelance work. Now it’s just the opposite. Going from one kid to two is a steep learning curve. Tack on becoming the primary caregiver in the middle of it, I might as well be climbing Mt. Everest. I’m always looking for a dinner hack or two to ease my stress and make my day smoother.
Any mom who is successful at getting a homemade meal on the table every night will tell you she is utterly dependent on her slow cooker (the ultimate dinner hack), and so am I. If I want my family to feel they are getting the best meal that does not require much effort, I have to make my slow cooker balsamic pot roast. So moist, flaky and rich with flavor, it is begging for one side dish and one side dish only: mashed potatoes.
Thinking Differently About Potatoes
When I was a flight attendant, I lived in a crash pad. I was stuck there for Thanksgiving with the crash pad manager, Paul, who was from France. We decided to put together a true Thanksgiving feast for the two of us. At the grocery store I started to put potatoes in a bag, and Paul shouted at me “NOOOO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” He never saw anyone make mashed potatoes from, well, potatoes.
In truth, not only had I never made instant potatoes, I’d never seen anyone else make them. Making mashed potatoes was always a somewhat laborious process of peeling, boiling, mashing, then added just the right amount of milk, butter and seasoning. Add too much, you have potato soup. Add too little, and you have dry potatoes.
I was skeptical when opened the package of Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes. Just add two cups of boiling water? Can it really be that easy? You guys, I’m hooked. These potatoes are really, really good, probably because they are made from 100% real Idaho® potatoes. The flavor is on point, and the texture can’t be beat.
The Dinner Hack
So here’s how it goes. When you wake up in the morning, put on the coffee, cobble together some breakfast for the kids, eat some yourself, etc. Once that’s all done, seer your roast, then throw it in the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients, and forget about it for the rest of the day. Finally, when dinner time rolls around pull the roast out of your slow cooker and onto a serving plate (this might actually be hard, since it will literally fall apart). Pull out your secret weapon: Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes. Not only quick and easy, but super delicious! The best part is it comes in so many flavors from Buttery Homestyle® to Butter and Herb to Roasted Garlic.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 pounds beef roast (any kind)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, brown beef on all sides, and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook until tender. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Place the beef, onions, broth, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce in a slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
- Remove beef and slice or shred the beef.
- Skim any fat from the cooking juices, place it in a sauce pan, bring to a simmer, add the mixture of the cornstarch and water and cook until the glaze has thickened.
- Serve alongside Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes, and drizzle with glaze.